Harry and Meghan Crawl Back to Britain After America Stopped Clapping

0
Harry and Meghan Crawl Back to Britain After America Stopped Clapping

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are moving their family back to the United Kingdom by the end of August, six years after they dramatically ditched their royal duties and decamped to a mansion in Montecito, California. Their children, Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, are already enrolled in British schools for the September term.

They're keeping the Montecito house. And the vacation property in Portugal. So "moving back" apparently means "adding a third home outside London while the American market dries up."

King Charles III was informed of the decision on Sunday, August 16, and according to a palace source, "welcomes the opportunity to see more of the Sussex family in a private and personal capacity." There are no plans for Harry or Meghan to resume official royal duties. They will reportedly remain "non-working members of the royal family" — which, as job descriptions go, is the most honest thing either of them has said in years.

The timing is worth noting. The couple's Archewell Productions had its Netflix deal downgraded late last year from an overall pact to a mere first-look agreement. Their cooking show, "With Love, Meghan," was not renewed after ratings cratered in the second half of 2025. The content empire that was supposed to justify the California exile has quietly collapsed, one cancelled project at a time.

Harry offered a statement about the move dripping with the kind of careful phrasing that only a team of publicists could produce: "This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter." Geographic balance. That's a real estate euphemism for "we burned through our leverage in one country and need to open a second front."

The couple's departure from Britain was anything but quiet. In January 2020, they announced they were stepping back from senior royal roles. By February 2021, Buckingham Palace confirmed they were no longer working royals. That same year, the pair sat down with Oprah Winfrey for an interview in which Meghan alleged that conversations had taken place within the royal family about Archie's skin color during her pregnancy. Harry told Oprah he was "disappointed" with King Charles III and that he and Prince William were "on different paths."

Some will point out that returning to Britain could be genuinely good for the children — stability, proximity to extended family, a connection to heritage. Which would be a more compelling argument if the parents hadn't spent six years publicly torching every relationship that would make that proximity meaningful. In 2024, Harry lost a court battle over the downgrade of his security detail. He sued. He lost. The protection he once had as a working royal doesn't come back just because you change your mailing address.

What's conspicuously absent from any of the Sussex statements is an explanation for why now. Not "why go back" — that's obvious enough when the Netflix money is shrinking and the American celebrity circuit has moved on. But why this month, this week, with school enrollment already locked in? This wasn't a sudden epiphany about royal tradition. This was planned well in advance, which means the decision to leave America was made months ago. The announcement was just the last thing they controlled the timing on.

The whole arc has a familiar shape. Blow up your old life on television. Cash in on the wreckage. Watch the cash slow down. Rediscover how much you always loved the thing you publicly destroyed.

Montecito to London. Six years, three homes, one Oprah interview, and a cancelled cooking show. The next chapter starts where the last one did — just with more luggage.


Most Popular

Most Popular

No posts to display